Galati is a city in the region of Moldavia, eastern Romania, on the banks of the Danube. The country's largest shipyard on Danube is located here, which benefits from the good access Galati has to the Black Sea through the Danube Delta. The first mention of the city dates from 1445, and in 1789 it was burnt down during the Russo-Turkish War. A renowned peasant revolt took place in and around the city in 1907. In Bram Stoker's novel Dracula, Galati is the port at which Count Dracula disembarked ship on his escape back to Transylvania.
Places of Worship Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Lower Danube - St. Andrew The cornerstone of the cathedral the archbishop of Galați was placed on 27 April 1906 by Prince Ferdinand and Queen Mary, along with the then Bishop of Lower Danube, Pimen Georgescu, the future Metropolitan of Moldova and the construction lasted until 1917 and made the plans of the architect Petre Antonescu and Stephen Burcuș. The building is the architectural post in Galați, was designed in the style mountainous,with one dome without side aisles. In 2006, the centennial was celebrated Episcopal Cathedral in Galați, on which occasion they arrived in the city of Danube relics of St. Nectarios of Aegina. The building was restored, which began operation in 1989 and has continued since 17 years, involving building works and infrastructure extrastructură Cathedral being rebuilt and reinforce facts. Also, the original painting of 1957 was thoroughly cleaned, the covenant was paved around the cathedral, the surroundings have been restored, and the Diocesan Centre Court was built a new building, a cultural center,pastoral and missionary named St. John Cassian.
Fortified Monastery of the Holy Virgin It is the oldest building in Galați, was consecrated as a place of worship in September 1647 during the reign of Vasile Lupu. The church was dedicated Vatopedi Monastery on Mount Athos. The church was raising the existing materials used on site: stone men, wood from forests Covurluiului platform, brick and lime, sand beaches, etc. Danube. Romanian church architecture and presents some specific elements: bell tower with battlements, which can be used to observe the Danube Valley, and in case of need became defensive fortification. The tower, consisting of two levels, is provided with a room to hide assets, with two ramparts, and an access door, probably to a balcony. The second floor was fitted with windows and battlements. Another defense to "Virgin" is reinforced bridge consisting of two parts, one above the nave and two above the altar. The bridge is equipped with 28 battlements. In masonry, among the rows of brick, stone is used, unused equipment to other Moldovan churches built in the same period. Church,"Virgin" bore all hardships times, being burned by the Ottomans in 1711, destroyed in the Russo-Ottoman-Austrian wars of 1735-1739 and 1769-1774. In 1821, the Ottomans and the housing destroyed and robbed. The church was rebuilt and restored in 1829 and, in 1859. He did a restore and then between 1953 to 1957, the church was turned into a museum. In the period 1991-1994, the church, "Virgin" was restored. They say there is a secret tunnel under the Danube from the church to the other side of the river in order to hide assets and escape the attacks of enemies.
Greek Church On 6 August 1866 to lay the cornerstone of the church dedicated to the "Transfiguration" sființire which is on 17 September 1872 by Bishop with Archimandrite Melchizedek Eughenie Xiropotamo. In the nave is a marble plaque with the names of founders and two marble plates with the names of founders and major benefactors. The church is cruciform tower and is entered with two bell towers on the west side. The painting was obtained for the painter Papadopoulos of Adrianople. On the iconostasis are large icons representing the Holy Virgin Mary with Child, Resurrection, St. Gerasimos, St. Sophia, St. Gregory and St. Basil the Great. Containing height stained glass church windows with holy apostles Peter, Andrew, Mark, Thomas, Bartholomew and Luke on the northern side and Paul Simon, John, James, Philip, on the southern side.
St. Paraskeva Cathedral Is located in the southern part of the city. In the yard is also the Cătușa Cemetery. Construction is completed but the interior layout has been delayed, taking jobs in the basement of the Cathedral in a very small space,which will serve as a mortuary chapel. The official opening of the interior would be in 2012.
Church Mavramol "Black Rock" in Greek,a former monastery dedicated to the Assumption Mavromol gate and was built in 1669 by Gheorghe Duca and his son rebuilt between 1700-1703. Keep valuable interior murals restored between 1973-1975. The cells of this church have worked the first schools established in 1765 in Galați (taught in Greek) and 1803 (with teaching in Romanian). Russo-Turkish War, 1768–1774 and Russo-Austrian-Turkish War, 1787-1792 Mavromol church caused deep damage. School has ceased operations and was only reestablished in 1803 by Constantin Moruzi's charter. During the revolution of 1821 the church was burned by the Turks. The current building dates from 1858–1861, and respects the original plan. The church has a splendid carved wooden icon "Virgin Mary", and made a valuable iconostasis of the church of St. Sava Monastery in Bucharest. The plane has necompartimentat basilica. Apses occur outside in rezalituri side. The ceiling is composed of three separated by arches dublou caps. The entrance is on the south side through a door marked by a dedication portal icon and heraldic symbols: Bull's head and two lions. Also on the south side of the medallion, carved in stone, the coat of arms of Moldova. During communism, the church was improperly expropriated the land beside it that was a cemetery.
St. Spyridon Church It was built in 1817 in a plane triconical four buttresses. It has three towers, one more than the other two equal, the dome of the nave is supported by arches in cross. The most valuable elements of the church is the iconostasis and icons. The original painting is no longer maintained.
Is near the Museum of History Galați on the Domnească street, now is the only remaining synagogue of Galați.
Was built in 1896 on the site of an old synagogue from 1806.
Historical and architectural monument built in 1790, the place where he had been a church. It was completely burned and destroyed in 1821, ending restoration in 1851. Above the nave stands a dome supported by arches in cross traditional Moldovan style. The dome roof, high above the nave in the shape of a bell tower and another, smaller, is high above the altar. Bell tower on the porch is an addition in 1901. Here is the tomb Smaranda Cuza, Alexandru Ioan Cuza mother. Roman Catholic Church
Was built in 1844 and expanded in 1873. Among the objects of artistic value as: High altar, made of colored marble, the painting "St. John the Baptist preaching," Most Holy Heart statue of Jesus Christ, Pieta Statues and Saint Francis of Assisi. The church was strengthened and renovated in its current state between 1985-1988.
Gardens and parks Mihai Eminescu Municipal Park
Designed in 1869, this park keeps a few trees contemporary Mihai Eminescu staying here more often especially in later life. In the park there is a small lake and an artificially-arranged place where the military band played recitals in the past. It is popular because of the presence of the statue of Eminescu.Public Garden
It is located near the Student Complex represents an especially beautiful area for rest and recreation. Also it is an excellent point of view over Lake Brates, the main rail way station and train depot.
C.F.R. (Romanian State Railways) Park The park is located near the railway tunnel. People relax since it is near the nursing home and is an end of line for some routes such as 102 and 104. This park serves residents north of the railway.
The Museum is included in the Natural Sciences and dominates the left bank of the Danube. You can admire the collections of tropical and subtropical plants (cactus, euforbii, palm, croton, geraniums, begonias etc.) rosary chic, with over 200 varieties of roses, flora and vegetation on the southern slopes of Romania's sunny garden - over 3000 specimens of species of trees and shrubs, oaks area - more than 50 copies of birch and conifers. Here is a replica of a Japanese garden.
Reservation and Zoo Garboavele Both located at the northern exit of town. Garboavele Forest Zoo is included in the Natural Sciences Museum Complex. In the zoo can be seen various exotic species. Also riding enthusiasts can practice the sport at the Zoo, just as there are no horses specially trained for this purpose,but also an excellent riding equipped and trained personnel. Zoo theme was developed together with experts from European Association of Zoos and Aquaria, and aims at preserving rare animal and conservation education.
Hunters Lake Located in the far north-eastern town of Galați, an area of 28 hectares. Includes a 11-ha natural lake, a slope of 10 ha of forest of acacia and a slope of 8 hectares partially arranged under a plan for recreational and intensive modernization and refurbishment.
Danube socket leisure complex Locatedout of the city, on the road to Brăila, has three swimming pools,houses, camping sites and a restaurant. On a portion of the complex is a Western club that is equipped with a pool, restaurant, bar and cafe.
House Lambrinidi Located on Royal Street no. 51, near University. Lambrinidi Epaminonda built, a mill owner on the street with the Port and attach a foundry and machine shop and repair ships, before April 1879, hosting the Prince Charles, on a visit in Galați. It was the seat of the Court of Appeals, Mihail Kogalniceanu High School and, after the earthquake of November 9–10, 1940, City Hall.
Other monuments, buildings and places Roman camp from Tirighina-Barbosi Excavations in the Roman castellum in Barbosi (north of the Danube, near Galați and near the mouth Siret), from the years 1959-1962, have proved perfectly clear stratigraphic conditions, it was at the height Tirighina started a Dacian fortress, reinforced by a wave of earth. Dacian pottery import business and, as a silver coin Histrian, allow the beginnings of the Dacian fortresses are fixed in the first century BC (II î.e.n. up late). Dacian fortress men then finally after a serious fire, whose traces are quite obvious. Roman coins in this level are Dacian time of Augustus and then continues uninterrupted series in the years before the reign of Emperor Nero (54-68 AD). There would be excluded so that the end of this city to be put in touch with the action of the governor of Moesia TIB. Silvanus Plautius Aelianus region north of the Danube,whose result was the forced relocation of 100,000 south of the Danube and the trans-Danubian held by the years 1962 to 1966 AD over the issue of seniority Roman rule north of the Danube in the south of Moldova, the question is whether this castellum in men, dating from a time 101 years older than -102, the first Dacian war (possibly 105-106 the second Dacian war), or just starting this year.
House Robescu It is built in the second half of the nineteenth century after architect Ion Mincu. The building has a raised basement, two floors with two towers-floor balcony to another balcony and ground floor facing the street. Exterior decoration of niches with the buttons, waist brâncovenesc style of twisted rope, polished ceramic tiles. Polished pottery used for decorating floral and the upper register. Today serves as the "Children's Palace" in Galați.
Palace of Navigation (River Station) Dates of the last decade of the nineteenth century, early twentieth century, was designed by architect Petre Antonescu. Today it is home to several institutions such as the Maritime Danube Ports Administration and Navrom.
University Palace Located in central Galați, the former Palace of Justice, the headquarters of the University today occupies the old city's architectural landscape most prominent place, because of its monumentalitații. This building is the work of architects and Virnav Cerchez Gregory. It was built between 1911-1913. Lupa Capitolina Inaugurated in 1995, Latin symbol of the Romanian people. Imposing edifice, which opened on 27 April 1906, Galați County Prefect headquarters today, the Administrative Palace was built between 1904–1905 years after architect Ion Mincu, the founder of Romanian national school of architecture. On the main façade of the Palace, at the top level, there are two statues made of white marble - "Industry" and "Agriculture" the sculptor Frederic Storck, covered by plaster. Here are two bronze flags in the county. On gable of the building is a large-scale clock. Each hour is marked by several musical phrases immortal waltz "Danube Waves"a masterpiece of world famous composer Joseph Galați Ivanovich (1845 -1902).
Theaters Fani Tardini Drama Theatre There are over 45 years. Repertory theater is a dramatic profile, the band consists of 25 permanent actors, two directors, one designer. To achieve theater production also uses the nationally prestigious collaborators - directors, designers, composers. The theater has its own production studios, own room with 300 seats, with Italian-type scene. Is the only professional theatrical drama profiles Galați County. Theatre addresses the whole audience Galați, and those in counties nearby. Directory includes new productions each season outside, a number of titles carried in previous seasons.
It is a cultural institution subsidized by the Romanian state, and other theaters of children. Gulliver Theatre was established on October 1, 1952. In this period have been presented over 200 titles, (4-5 on the season premieres) of Romanian and world literature for children, under the skilled leadership of many artists. Gulliver Festival is held annually, one of the most important of its kind in Romania, Galați transforming the Capital puppet theater.
Lyric Theatre Nae Leonard
It was founded in 1956. Annual organizing "Galațians Musical Days" when the public are most representative of the repertoire titles of all genres. Museums Natural Sciences Museum Complex
Botanical Garden contains planetarium dome, can be viewed here different projections so that the visitors can travel to all corners of the imaginary universe, also takes place in the planetarium, and numerous educational programs, good examples being Astroclub "Calin Popovici, and Educational Program "You know the sun, " V-XII classes for students. The aquarium is rare and very rare themes ichthyofauna of the Danube basin, Mediterranean Sea and exotic fish fauna. Botanical garden dominates the left bank of the Danube, occupying an area of 18 hectares. Galați History Museum
It was inaugurated on 24 January 1939, on the occasion of his 80th anniversary of the Union Romanian principalities in the house which belonged to the family Cuza Alexandru Ioan Cuza and where he lived during which the chief magistrate, in Galați. Muzelui scientific activity resumed in 1951-1952, when he started organizing scientific collections. In 1956,out-of collections have been separated, so they formed part of thecollections of the Museum of Natural Sciences, and another, the collections of the Museum of Art. Gradually, the History Museum's collection through new acquisitions and increased archaeological research conducted in the southern part of Moldova, mainly from the Roman camp Tirighina-Barbosi, now reaching a collection of over 50,000 exhibits, some of which are of exceptional importance.
Alexandru Ioan Cuza Memorial House Built on the former home of the chief magistrate of Covurlui, Alexandru Ioan Cuza, the first ruler of Romania (1859–1866). It includes a permanent exhibition dedicated to the prince, assembly and quality of restoration of environment at the end of Galați sec. nineteenth century and the beginning of sec. twentieth century.
Visual Arts Museum It is the first Romanian contemporary art museum in the country. It was inaugurated in 1967 and was designed to provide the latest structural trends emerging artistic phenomenon, and a destination that keeps and the beginning of this millennium. Approximately 400 existing work-in halls and outdoor exhibition in the museum park, is a selection from a much larger property, often filled with a virtual wealth of contemporary artists'workshops. Heritage museum includes works of Romanian art in the second half of the nineteenth and twentieth-century avant-garde representatives Romanian and works of artists who formed a bridge between the first and second half of the century.